Thesis/Professional Project Submission Starters
Welcome to the Thesis and Professional Project Submission Guidelines Research Guide. Consult this guide for information on:
- Required forms for thesis submission
- How to prepare and submit a print copy of your thesis/professional project to the Arnold Bernhard Library (ABL) for bindery
- How to prepare and submit your thesis/professional project for electronic access through ProQuest UMI
- Learn how to embed fonts into your thesis/professional project
- Page and style arrangement for your thesis/professional project
- Citation help available at ABL
- Print and fill out the ABL Thesis Distribution Form for your bound copies.
- Review, print, complete, SIGN and DATE the ProQuest Publishing Agreement for your electronic copy.
- Please choose your publishing option: Traditional (no charge to the student) or Open access ($100 additional charge to student)
- Determine copyright needs($55 additional charge to student).
Most students choose traditional publishing and do not copyright their thesis.
Please consult with your department chair for departmental guidelines regarding the restriction of your thesis or professional project.
If you wish to prevent your thesis from ever being sold or made available electronically, please write: "NOT FOR SALE" above your signature on the publishing agreement.
- If you have any questions: please ask - we will be happy to help!
Print Thesis Binding Guidelines
- The Arnold Bernhard Library (ABL) requires one copy of your thesis/professional project; this copy will be bound, cataloged and shelved within the Library’s Theses Collection. We suggest using paper chosen for its permanence and durability. This paper should be be acid‑neutral/acid-free, watermarked, at least 20-lb. weight, and contain at least 25% cotton.
- All thesis copies should be printed on 8 1/2" x 11" paper. Margins should be 1" on all sides to accomodate binding. Your thesis should be double spaced and is suggested to be a 12 point type. Suggested fonts are Times New Roman, Arial, Helvetica and Century Gothic. Pages must be printed single sided only. For more style suggestions, please see the Preparing your PDF file and Thesis Arrangement top tabs.
- EACH print copy for the bindery must have a signed advisors' signature page. All signature pages must be signed prior to submitting your thesis/project.
- The Arnold Bernhard Library will bind one copy of your thesis for our collection with no bindery charge to you. Any additional copies to be bound are $17.00 each, payable by check or cash only (NO credit cards or Q-Cash) at the time of submission. Checks should be made payable to Quinnipiac University. (Some departments cover the cost of additional bound copies, please check with your department regarding payment before submitting your thesis/professional project.)
Electronic Thesis Guidelines for Submission
- Create a PDF file of your thesis/professional project to ABL for digitization.
- Fonts need to be embedded in the PDF file. For style suggestions and steps to embed fonts, please see the Preparing your PDF tab.
- Make sure the PDF of your advisors' signature page is unsigned.
You may submit your PDF file via CD, email, or use the Quinnipiac University large file exchange.
Be sure that you have completed the ProQuest UMI Dissertation form.
Time to Submit Your Thesis/Professional Project!
Schedule an Appointment at ABL:
- Please contact Katherine Cunningham to schedule a time to drop off your thesis. We will verify the receipt of all the necessary paperwork to proceed with the binding and electronic submission of your thesis to ProQuest.
Submitting the Electronic File:
- You may submit your PDF file via CD, email, or use the Quinnipiac University large file exchange. If your thesis/professional project includes more than one file, please review the guidelines in the Preparing your PDF tab.
How Long Before My Thesis is Available?
- Once you submit your thesis/professional project to ABL, the bindery process takes about 6-10 weeks. When ABL receives your bound copies from the bindery, we will distribute the copies as instructed on your ABL Thesis distribution form.
- The electronic copy of your thesis/professional project will be available on the QU Thesis Database approximately 2 - 6 months after submission. Typically, ABL sends a group of theses/professional projects for electronic publication to ProQuest twice a year.